Sunday, March 9, 2014

March 10th-14th

Food for thought...
Over the next few weeks, I am looking forward to being in your classrooms as part of your year-long goal setting process. Although we'll meet in advance of the actual observation date, I thought it might be helpful to share some thoughts about this process. First, this is not a test! I don't want you to feel anxious about it, even though I know sometime these more "formal" observations can make people feel a little nervous. But, I also know that information can be helpful when planning, so here are some thoughts I have that may help you to focus as you choose your lesson, time, or content for your upcoming observation.

1. Don't do something special just for me. I want to see what goes on in your classroom every day.
2. Have you tried something new lately or made a change? Is there something you'd like feedback on, or would like suggestions around how you might improve? Choosing something that is a work in progress is a great idea!
3. It doesn't have to be a "direct instruction" lesson with you in front and the kids in desks or on the floor. I am coming to see teaching and learning, which takes many forms in our real-world, differentiated school. I'd love to observe your workshop, centers, or math groups if that's something you are working on this year.
4. Our focus this year is student engagement, and that is the lens through which I'll be observing your classroom. It doesn't have to be quiet-- I'm most interested in seeing students actively involved in learning.
5.  No matter what content area you choose, think about the emphasis of literacy across subjects in the CCSS. Are students having opportunities to read, write, listen, speak, and think about academic content? I'd love to see GLAD in action as well!

As part of this process, we'll meet a few days in advance of your observation to talk about your plans. I've shared the Google doc with you so you can begin thinking about what you'd like to choose. I'd like to have observations completed before Spring break, so please schedule a day and time with me- I'm hoping I can get you all on the calendar by the end of this week.
Thank you for all you do!

Something I loved this week:
Skyping with Ame Dyckman!

Dates and Details
March 12th-Walking Wednesday 10:15-10:30 and 1:15-1:45 (choose one)
March 12th- Cadre meetings (ELA at Star)
March 13th Genius Hour & WASC with Pat Brougton
March 17th- Star Academy Lottery 5:30 in gym
March 19-20 GLAD two day trainings at Star (Room 114 and Library)
March 19th- Facilities meeting hosted by NUSD at the main campus TBA
March 19-22 Jennifer at CUE in Palm Springs-- Petra, Julie and Amy will be sharing teacher-in-charge
March 21st- Progress reports go home (only students at risk of not meeting end of year benchmarks)
March 23rd- Sacramento Kings Game 3 PM
March 24th-26th WASC visits
March 26th-- Baby Jax day! (and Joe's birthday!)
No minimum day in April
April 12th-27th Spring Break

Tech Tips
Our Chromebook cart arrives Tuesday, and we will get a chance to play on Thursday! Check out this interactive Chromebook 101: Getting Started ThingLink to learn some cool features about the Chromebook! No laptops needed for Genius Hour :)




No comments:

Post a Comment