Monday, February 17, 2014

February 18th-22nd

Food for thought...
First follower: Leadership Lessons from Dancing Guy

    There are a few videos I could watch over and over and this is one of them. I had the chance to see it again this past weekend at CUE Rockstar in Napa. Now, I know that if I asked any of my friends or colleagues, they will say I'm the shirtless dancing guy. And I am! However, this is not the important thing about this video. Are you the shirtless guy? The lone nut? Or are you the first follower? No matter if you are the crazy one to start the dance, the first follower, or one who joins in later, the important thing about our school is that we all dance! All of us! As I was walking my crazy cute puppy around the block, I could quickly think of an instance where every one of you did something new, fun, or amazing that inspired us to think about trying something different. As we start the process of finding new staff members to join our team, I'd really like to just show them this video and ask them if they're ready to dance with us! Thank you for dancing your bootays off!

Dates and Details
February 18th- new family tour at 1:30
February 21st- Genius Hour -- Click here to add to collaborative agenda 
February 24th-28th Book Fair 
February 25th- new family tour at 1:30
February 26th- PIP meetings- I'll be around to visit :)
February 27th- Twitter party with WUSD  new family tour at 8:30 and 1:30
February 28th- Dr. Seuss Night 5-8 pm, Read-a-Thon/ PJ day all day, and Kindness character trait/caught ya assembly at 10:30 (Jennifer is planning)
March 3- no school-- Oz Training
March 4th- First grade field trip
March 5th 10:20 Author Skype with Ame Dyckman!
March 5th- schoolwide walk begins (normally two times) 1:15-1:45 and 10:00-10:15-- we'll need to adjust the morning time due to the author Skype
March 12th- Cadre meetings (ELA at Star)
March 19-20 GLAD two day trainings at Star
March 19th- Facilities meeting hosted by NUSD at the main campus TBA
March 19-22 Jennifer at CUE in Palm Springs-- Petra, Julie and Amy will be sharing teacher-in-charge
March 23rd- Sacramento Kings Game!
March 24th-26th WASC visits
March 26th-- Baby Jax day! (and Joe's birthday!)

Things I loved around campus this week:
As I have been touring prospective families and guests around, you have pretty much been blowing their minds! 
  • Second graders, notebooks in hand, commenting on classmates' blogs in the lab during workshop
  • Writer's Notebooks in first grade- 100% of kids engaged in writing about what they want to be when they grow up after a whole class mini lesson
  • Third grade math workshop-- awesome! Kids on the floor, kids at desks, everyone getting what they need!
  • First graders sorting AND articulating which comments were quality comments and which were not in a team task
  • GLAD charts in kindergarten-- it's obvious what we are learning about!
  • Second graders working in teams learning about the Presidents and Maps and Globes Jeopardy!
  • TK writing and art is everywhere, and Karen graciously answers questions every tour... thank you!
  • Diedre and Julie planned an amazing surprise shower, complete with those awesome tiny babies! I'm so excited to have a baby at Star!
  • Cindy is a master at all of this lottery and application business. I would be lost without you!
  • I loved all of the Valentines fun! 
  • Petra being the lead learner at A3WP Super Saturday
  • Sharing Star Academy in the NCS Board meeting :) 

Tech Tips

So, we learned about Photo Peach, but you can also make a quiz with it! This weekend in Napa someone showed me how! Here's Matt Gomez' blog post about it.
http://mattbgomez.com/slideshow-quiz-with-photopeach/ 

How to embed a Google Presentation in Blogger
http://www.emilydittmar.com/2013/03/embed-google-presentation-into-blogger.html




3 comments:

  1. Great post! I enjoyed the videos. I LOVE our new dance at Star :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie! Thanks! And thanks for commenting :) See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you made a "Baby Jax Day!" I hope he stays in there until March 26th! See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete