Sunday, December 8, 2013

December 9th-13th

Food for thought...


Inspiring Learners
This past week, our parking lot was fuller than usual as we hosted our first Project GLAD demonstration lesson for 27 K-3 teachers from all over Northern California. As often as I could, I peeked into the classroom to see what was happening. On the last day it looked like this. Who's doing the learning?

Everyone is learning. From each other.
photo by Petra
photo by Petra
I still remember being one of those teachers in the back in a GLAD demo several years ago. My mind was blown that it was just business as usual for the kids, even though there were over 25 adults in the room. My mind was blown by what the kids could do. And my mind was blown by the level of engagement. It was busy. It wasn't quiet. Kids moved on the carpet. And they were happy. Just like this past week in Petra's room. Everywhere I looked, I saw collaboration and learning.




I think there is a lesson to be learned from these smart first graders. We learn by doing. We learn from each other. Learning should be fun. And we can accomplish amazing things! Thank you all for inspiring me every day!

The books are here! The books are here! 


Some Caldecott hopefuls!

Stop by my office and pick up a book or two! Then hop on the Mock Caldecott site with your class and vote! Here's the link to the site with book trailers and a little summary of each.  There are 30 books which will have a home in our new library!Have fun!



Dates and Details
December 9th- CPR training at Star- let me know if you are interested or visit http://www.axiompros.com/  only $30 (only 12 spots available)
December 10th- Dental presentations by grade level  Click here for link to assembly schedules
December 11-13 Secret Santa (Reveal night Dec 16th!)
December 12th- Tech Time!
December 13th- Phil Tulga assemblies (9:30 and 10:30
December 18th- Ballet and Music performance in gym at Star 6:30 PM (after school enrichment only)
December 20- end of semester & first annual BLING IT ON DAY!
December winter break- December 23rd-January 3rd
January 6- NCS staff development day
January 17 report cards sent home
January 27th - ALA Awards broadcast! December and January: Mock Caldecott at Star Academy! Click here for the link to the live broadcast of the awards ceremony!

Not really a tech tip, but....

If you are looking for a play to put on with your class this year, check out Bad Wolf Press. I can tell you I have done FIVE of these plays and they truly are the easy button. Kids love them and they are FULL of awesome academic content. Visit their site at http://www.badwolfpress.com/ to read the scripts and listen to the songs. I recommend the American Symbols one for first grade, Life Cycles for second, and Vacation on Mars for 3rd grade. There are some cute ones for littler kids, too. 

4 comments:

  1. This is amazing - what a cool culture you are creating at Star, Mrs. K!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is easy when we work with such amazing people. Thank you for being an awesome leader!

      Delete
  2. I'm excited that the books arrived! I will be by after school tomorrow to pick up a couple. I love this blog! This is my tech goal....to get blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! There are so many fun books, and a bunch of wordless books! I'm glad you like this blog. I am excited to watch yours grow!

      Delete