Sunday, September 8, 2013

The week of September 9th-13th

Food for thought...

I love books. I really love books! There are books stacked everywhere in my house, on my dresser, on my nightstand, and in my living room. There are books in my office, on my Kindle, and on my iPad. I've scheduled time to read the past two weekends and it felt SO good. Digging through my box of first grade North America books, I got so excited reading them! Here's a book trailer from one of my favorites! 



Penguin and Pinecone by Salina Yoon



Some of my favorite books are alphabet books. One of my friends shared this Pinterest board with an amazing list of children's literature organized in an ABC list. There's also a fun printable poster!

I also had a chance to blog about books this week on my personal blog. It's my first "It's Monday! What are you reading?" post since Spring break. 

Success Notes:
    Here are some things I loved at Star this week! The PIP proposals! I'm so excited about the diversity in our Star PIPS. Janet will be focusing on Science. Maria and Tammy will explore reading assessments and higher level thinking. Julie, Petra, and Hope will examine how Reading Rewards can inspire and engage readers and writers. Saryn, Amy and Karen are delving into centers and how centers can impact the learning environment in TK and Kindergarten.
     Some other things I loved: Julie's creative digital long term independent study for a student who will be out of the country for two months. Thank goodness for Google! Tammy and Janet's Symbaloo for the lab computers- thank you for inspiring all of us! Caroline and Joe reading out loud to students each week- the kids loved it! Petra's rockin' PE-- nothing like 52 first graders working out to some totally cool tunes! Hope's kids excited about Ivy & Bean and book trailers! Maria using Remind101 to keep her families informed. One of Karen's TK kids bringing a tiny magnifying glass to school- just like the giant one one the wall! Amy's kinders being soooooo excited about S day! And Saryn's kids so excited about the new turtles coming to PM k. I absolutely love the passion and excitement I see around Star- kids and teachers. Thanks for all you do!

Dates & Details


September 9th- late start Wednesday grade level planning
September 16th- late start Wednesday grade level planning

Star Academy Parent Technology Nights (computer lab)
September 10, 2013 - 6pm-7pm
September 24, 2013 - 6pm-7pm

September 13th- Jog-a-thon 8:30-11:00 Turn in forms as they come in, and be sure the student name and teacher name are on the envelope :)

September 18th and 19th- Project GLAD training at Star 8:30-3:00 (1st & 3rd grade teachers)

September 20th- Picture Day!

September 25th- late start Wednesday with Elsa Ouvrard-Prettol, our NCS librarian!

October 1st- Skype Party with Erin Dealey-- Deck the Walls Book release! More info to come!

October 3rd- Read for the Record-- Otis by Loren Long

October 11th- Harvest Festival

October 14th-17th- Minimum Days for family conferences

Tech Tips


How to force a copy of a Google Doc

Do you want to share a document but are worried about your document being changed? Check out this video to see how to do it just by adding &newcopy=true to the end of the share url.




Using Google Forms to schedule parent conferences
My friend Poppi Canepa teaches first grade at my old school, Buckeye. She created this awesome form to schedule conferences. It might inspire you to create your own, or just click File>Make a copy -- no starting from scratch!

Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment